Here are some pointers that will help you to make a good impression during the interview:
- Make sure you are dressed appropriately. ie Suit? Business Casual? If in doubt, it is best to dress more formerly
- Speak clearly.
- Don’t waffle.
- Try to avoid buzzwords.
- Make good eye contact.
- Be friendly.
- Be positive and polite.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Never be derogatory to former employers, or other people, as you never know who knows who.
- Answer questions using examples where possible.
- If you do not understand the question, ask the interviewer to repeat the question.
Closing the interview
It is important to leave the interviewer with a positive impression - thank them for the opportunity to meet with them and for their time. If you are still interested in the position, make sure they know. If they ask you whether you are interested in the position, avoid statements such as “I’ll think about and get back to you” – It is best to be decisive. If you are interested, tell them “yes”.
It is also good practice to ask the interviewers what the next step is from here. This will show that you are interested, and it will help you to understand the hiring process a little better.
Immediately afterwards, note down your thoughts on the interview and any questions that you might have while they are still fresh in your mind.
Call your innovate360 consultant as soon as possible with feedback. The sooner you do this, the sooner we can speak to the hiring organisation to obtain feedback from them.
For more information, please contact innovate360 today.